There are three types of rides during the season:
- We start the season with one meet-and-ride, which leaves from the Atwater Market (near the north side of the bridge across the canal). This provides a gentle start to the season for all and is a good opportunity for newcomers to try out riding with us. Meeting time is 9:00 am for a 9:30 departure.
- Each season we plan 16 to 18 Saturday trips to destinations outside Montreal that we reach by carpool. Potential drivers and those needing a lift can either:
- use the carpool website, using the link provided on the Cycling wiki as of the Tuesday before a Saturday ride; or
- come to the meeting place on Tupper just west of Atwater on Saturday morning and those needing a lift will be matched with a driver by the trip leader on a first-come-first-served basis, with priority to members (meet at 8:15 am for an 8:30 departure).
Participants with cars and bike racks are very much appreciated.
- Participants choose from among the proposed routes, which vary in length and difficulty (usually from 45 to 95 km). The trip leader helps riders form groups of similar abilities and guides new members to join suitable groups.
- The Cycling wiki (randonnee-cycle.wikidot.com) is where to go to:
- find the trip-specific link to register as a carpool driver or passenger (as of the Tuesday before a Saturday ride)
- find the link to get maps and instructions in PDF form (as of the Tuesday before a Saturday ride)
- check whether there is a weather-related cancellation or postponement (by 7pm on the Friday before a Saturday ride).
- There are also several weekend trips each year, including regular weekends (2 nights, Friday and Saturday) and long weekends (3 nights, Friday, Saturday and either Thursday or Sunday). Sign-up for these trips is done online on the club website. All destinations are reached by carpool, which is organized by one of the participants. For these multi-day trips, there are daily routes of different lengths and levels of difficulty. At the destination, trip leaders provide maps and route instructions. A welcome party is usually held on the second evening.
All rides and activities are planned and led by volunteers.
|$25 / year. Membership gives you the right to participate in all club activities (cycling, hiking, winter sports and social activities). Those considering joining the club can participate in one Saturday ride before becoming a member. To become a member, go to Buy Membership.|
|$5 administrative fee to be paid to the trip leader. This covers the costs of scouting new and existing destinations to ensure that routes are interesting, scenic, and safe.
$15 carpool fee for each passenger ($7.50 for the person; $7.50 for the bicycle) payable in cash to the driver.
|The price of the trip (to be paid online by credit card or PayPal) as indicated on the website with the trip description
The carpool fee (to be paid in cash to the driver at departure) – this amount varies depending on the distance to the destination
We warmly welcome new members and hope you will try us out. Please note that you MUST have a helmet and an adequately equipped bike. It is important that you have enough riding experience to handle the distance and difficulty of your chosen route. We are on the road for the better part of the day, and participants should be able to keep up with their group. See Your First Ride with Randonnée Aventure.
|IMPORTANT NOTE: Border Crossing for U.S. Trips
It is the responsibility of each participant to have the proper documents to travel to the U.S. and back. With the U.S. administration imposing more severe border crossing restrictions, extra caution is needed. The group /carpool cannot wait for you if you are held up at the border. Therefore you must evaluate for yourself whether the benefit of a trip to the U.S. is worth the risk of being left at the border. Furthermore, if you are traveling with a passport other than Canadian or American, please inform the trip leader or carpool driver at the outset. Participants requiring a visa to enter the U.S must have obtained their visa prior to the trip.
If you have any questions, email the Club at firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you shortly.